If you want to make homemade pasta, the key is in the dough. Making the perfect dough is easy though, and this video recipe will show you how to do it. See how to prepare a pasta dough that is sure to be a hit in any pasta meal.
Sal Firicano, chef at Nico Ristorante in Boston's North End, shares his authentic ravioli dough recipe. This simple dough made of flour, eggs, olive oil and seasonings can be used rolled or cut into any pasta shape. Flavor the versatile dough with anything from saffron or truffle oil to ground spinach. Then watch Sal's Porcini Ravioli video and try out your new skill.
* 3 cups flour
* 4 whole eggs + 1 whole egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
* pinch each of salt & pepper
* 3 tsp olive oil + 1 tbsp added when cooking
* a few tbsp water (if needed)
* additions to dough depending on filling: nutmeg, truffle oil, saffron or spinach puree
* plastic wrap
* pasta maker or rolling pin
* ravioli cutter
1. Mound flour on flat, clean work surface
2. Create a well in the middle of the mound of flour. Crack eggs, drizzle oil, season with salt and pepper
3. With a fork, start to whisk wet ingredients together, and slowly incorporate flour into wet well
4. When the mixture starts to look clumpy, gather into ball and start to work with your hands, kneading remaining flour into a dough ball. If the dough is too dry to incorporate all of the flour, add 1-2 tbsp water to moisten
5. Optional: If flavoring dough to accentuate filling ingredients, add now (nutmeg, saffron, truffle oil, etc)
6. Knead 10-15 minutes, or until dough is smooth
7. Cover with plastic and rest 1 hour in the refrigerator before use
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.